John MARTYR

Male Abt 1700 - Bef 1781  (~ 81 years)


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All

  • Name John MARTYR 
    Born Abt 1700 
    Gender Male 
    Died Bef 10 May 1781  Guildford, Surrey, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried 10 May 1781  Holy Trinity Church, Guildford, Surrey, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I2674  Effingham
    Last Modified 30 Dec 2016 

    Father Joseph MARTYR,   b. 24 Jan 1674, Effingham, Surrey, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Bef 10 Dec 1741, Feltham, Middlesex, England Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age < 67 years) 
    Mother Deborah ?,   d. Bef 24 Sep 1761, Reading, Berkshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married Abt 1695 
    Family ID F025  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Elizabeth FLUTTER,   b. Bef 13 Dec 1720, Guildford, Surrey, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Bef 20 May 1791, Guildford, Surrey, England Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age < 70 years) 
    Married 13 Jan 1747  Saint Matthew, Friday Street, London, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Notes 
    • London Metropolitan Archives
      London and Surrey, England, Marriage Bonds and Allegations, 1597-1921:
      Reference: Bond MS10091E/61
      Page # 28:

      John Martyr of Guildford in the County of Surrey Gentleman ...
      Dated the Twelfth Day of January in the Year of our Lord 1747 ..

      but that John Martyr above bounden Batchelor and
      Elizabeth Flutter Spinster .....

      [Signed] John Martyr

      Sealed and Delivered in the Presence of [illegible] M.A.
      [28]


      Reference: Allegation DL/A/D/004/MS10091/088/001
      Page # 28:

      Appeared personally John Martyr of Guildford in the County
      of Surrey Gentleman aged Thirty Nine years and a Batchelor
      and that he intends to marry with Elizabeth Flutter of Guildford
      aforesaid aged Twenty Seven years and a Spinster ....

      ... in the Parish Church of Saint Matthew Fryday Street London
      [signed John Martyr]

      Sworn before me
      A Wm. CollierSurrogate
      Present??? asar M.A.



      The Register of St Matthew, Friday Street, London 1538-1812 and the United P{arishes of St Matthew & St Peter Cheap, Marriages, 1754-1812. Transcribed and Edited by A.M. Bruce Bannerman, London 1933. Page 89, and Index Page 181.

      1747 Jan. 13John Martyr, Batchr, & Elizabeth Flutter, Spinster, both of Guilford in Surry. By Mr. Langley.



      The IGI Individual Record for John MARTYR reads:
      Marriage: 13th January 1747 at Saint Matthew, Friday Street, London, England.
      Spouse: Elizabeth FLUTTER.
      Batch No: M001501, Dates: 1538-1812.
    Children 
     1. John MARTYR,   b. 24 Apr 1751, Guildford, Surrey, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 14 Oct 1843, The Rectory, East Clandon, Surrey, England Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 92 years)
    Last Modified 30 Dec 2016 
    Family ID F077  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • "His house is No 25 High Street, Guildeford, a well dight house. In 1730 was in hys possesion of the Heart of the holie Peter de Rupibus, Lord Bishop Peter of Winchester". In about 1736 John MARTYR purchased the property in the High Street, Guildford then numbered No 25, now No 155 and now known as Guildford House, from Charles CHILDE.

      Guildford Borough:
      http://www.guildford.gov.uk
      Guildford House History Web Pages

      The Martyr Family
      This family was well known in Guildford and bought Guildford House in 1736 from the Childe family for £700.

      A William Martyr was Mayor in 1545 and again in 1553. Charles Martyr, born in 1587, married Catherine, daughter of Sir George More of Loseley and their son John Martyr was Mayor of Guildford in 1667, 1677, 1682 and 1692. His great-grandson, John Martyr, bought Guildford House in 1736. He was an Attorney and appears as a Magistrate on the list of subscribers to the Guildhall extension.

      This family was in continuous occupation of the house for over a hundred years. Most of its male members were lawyers by profession and were known as 'the hereditary Town Clerks of Guildford' being associated with the firm of solicitors which managed the town's legal affairs. It was to John MARTYR that the Surrey antiquarian and historian, William Bray (1736-1832) was articled.

      John MARTYR's lease contained a full description of the property with its dwelling house, wash-house and brew-house with rooms above, a stables and a loft with a dovecote in the south-west corner of a walled garden which also had a summer or banqueting house, sometimes called a gazebo. There was also property on the other side of the North Ditch (North Street) shown on the 1739 map of Guildford as 'Mr MARTYR's Garden'. Part of this land was sold in 1803 to the Society of Friends for their Meeting House.


      Access to Archives:
      West Sussex Record Office:
      Additional Manuscripts, Catalogue 3
      Catalogue of Additional Manuscripts
      Catalogue Ref. Add MSS1001-1514
      Creator(s):
      West Sussex Record Office

      Deeds and other documents of the Prattenton family and their estate in Bury and Bignor: Deeds

      Reference: Add Mss1220
      Conveyance (Lease & Release) for £180
      Creation dates: 22 June 1724

      Scope and Content:
      Sarah Tickner of Wonersh (co. Surr.), wid., and Christopher Tupper of Bury, yeo. (son and heir of Christopher Tupper of the same, yeo., decd., who was trustee for said Sarah Tickner) to John Luffe of Bury, clerk
      Property, as in Add Mss1219 (but now described as a messuage with the barns, buildings, gates, gardens and orchards belonging called Pannells Hold, arable land (4a.) lying in the common field of Bury called the Clay and meadow ground (2a.) lying in the common mead of Bury called Wide Meade otherwise Small Mead; all in Bury and in occ. of Robert Stedman)
      The consideration money paid by (b) to said Sarah Tickner
      Covenant by said Sarah Tickner that the properties may be held free of all encumbrances except a lease made by her to Robert Stedman
      Mark and seal of Sarah Tickner, signature and seal of Christopher Tupper. It appears from the recitals in Add Mss1228, that this deed was not executed by Christopher Tupper before Nov. 1731, and this statement is repeated in the abstract of title in Add Mss1084
      Witnesses, to the sealing of Sarah Tickner - Leo: Child, John Shotter, John MARTYR; to that of Christopher Tupper - Richard Randall, Elizabeth Golding


      Access to Archives:
      West Sussex Record Office:
      Additional Manuscripts, catalogue 12
      Catalogue Ref. Add Mss 8108-9246

      West Sussex Record Office, Chichester
      Deeds, 1701 - 1880, relating to the Manor of Thakeham, and property in Billingshurst, Shipley, Sullington and West Grinstead

      Reference: Add Mss 8148
      Covenant to levy a fine
      Creation dates: 9 April 1726

      Scope and Content
      (a) Henry Whitburne, of Shalford, co. Surrey, yeoman, and Jane, his wife, to (b) John Tickner, of Smithwood in Worcester, co. Surrey, yeoman, and Thomas Tickner, his brother
      (a) Covenant to (b) to levy a fine of 7a. pasture adj. (a)'s house in Shalford; plot called Philberts (1a.), meadow called Griggs (3a.), abutting S. on lane from Blackheath to Shalford, E. and W. on lands belonging to Winchester College, and N. on river; Rushy Field (10a.) in Shalford. To the use of Jane Whitburne after the decease of her husband to receive annually the sum of £18
      Witnesses: Leonard Child, John Shotter and John MARTYR


      Access to Archives:
      West Sussex Record Office:
      Additional Manuscripts, Catalogue 48
      Catalogue Ref. Add Mss 51,251 - 52,250
      Creator(s):West Sussex Record Office

      Deeds of various parishes: Wisborough Green
      Reference: Add Mss 51,434
      Lease for a year
      Creation dates: 3 July 1728

      Scope and Content
      Lease missing
      (a) John Laker of Wisborough Green, yeo
      (b) John Hunt of Hascombe, Surrey, yeo., and Edmund Baxter of Dunsfold, Surrey, blacksmith
      Messuage farm and lands called Quennells in Wisborough Green, now in the occupation of Richard Heyward; purchased by John Laker, uncle to (a) from William Jackman: Consideration: 5s
      Witnesses: Levi Child, Richard Ford, Ben Burell, John MARTYR.


      Surrey History Centre, Woking
      Collection ref: 1482 MANOR OF CRASTOCK ALIAS CRAWSTOCK OR CRANSTOCK, ALIAS BRIDLEY, WOKING AND WORPLESDON: COURT ROLLS AND RENTALS, 1553-1826
      Deposited in February 1986 by Barlows, Solicitors, of Guildford. There is no record of how the rolls came to be held by Barlows (formerly Capron and Sparkes and then Barlow, Norris and Jenkins), the successors of a firm started in 1816 by Charles Niblett and John Rand.
      Bibliography:
      For the history of this manor see Manning and Bray, History and Antiquities of the County of Surrey, vol I, pp127-8 and Victoria County History, vol iii, p387. Manning and Bray (vol I, 1804), cites court rolls from 7th year of Edward VI to 1742, the earliest rolls (or their drafts) in this deposit (1482/1-3) as far as the first court of Charles Childe. They go on to say that the manor then passed to John Tickner and subsequently to Richard Hollingworth, which these rolls confirm. An added sentence (copied by the Victoria County History), stating that the manor was sold by Richard Hollingworth to Sir Fletcher Norton is, however, contradicted by the roll (1482/3)

      Item ref: 1482/3:
      Court roll, courts baron, 10 membranes (a-j)
      a) Court baron of Leonard Childe, 12 Sep 1728, with rental
      a-c) 1st court baron of Charles Childe, 11 Jun 1742
      c-d) 1st court baron of John Tickner, 29 May 1759
      d-e) 1st court baron of Richard Hollingworth, 13 Jul 1770
      e) Court baron of Richard Hollingworth, 5 Jun 1786
      f-g) General court baron of Richard Hollingworth, 8 Jun 1796
      g-h) General Court baron of Richard Hollingworth, 6 Jul 1808
      i) First general court baron of Philip Hollingworth, 8 Jul 1813
      j) First general court baron of Bourdillon, 5 Sep 1826

      Stewards: John MARTYR 1728-1759; Samuel Shaen 1770;
      Thomas Sibthorpe 1786-1813; John Allen Sibthorpe 1826
      Date(s): 12 Sep 1728 -5 Sep 1826. [Starts: 17280912][Ends: 18260905]



      Surrey History Centre, Woking
      Collection ref: 5021RELIGIOUS SOCIETY OF FRIENDS (QUAKERS), GUILDFORD: RECORDS OF MEETING HOUSE PREMISES, 1557-1964

      Deposited by Mr V White, on behalf of Guildford Preparative Meeting, in May 1991.
      Introduction:
      The site of the first property of the Guildford Society of Friends was acquired in 1673. It was a 'tenement gateroom' and 'garden plot' near the back gate of the Crown Inn near the North Town Ditch (now North Street). The National Westminster Bank now occupies the site of the Crown Inn. The Quakers had right of way to their property from the High Street 'at all times from four of the clock in the morning to ten of the clock in the evening every day if occasion serve for ever' (see 5021/1/7-8). This right of way resulted in contention over the years between the owners of the Crown Inn site and the Friends (see 5021/1/28 & 33, 5021/1/7-8). The right of way was lost in 1927 when the site, now a disused burial ground, was conveyed by the Society of Friends to the Corporation of Guildford under the Open Spaces Act 1906.The gateroom, originally acquired as a Meeting House, was demolished in 1805 when a site was purchased to build a new Meeting House (see 5021/2/5-6). The land was part of the garden of John MARTYR and adjoined the North Town Ditch opposite the site of the original Meeting House. Subscriptions to raise funds for the new Meeting House began in 1803 (see 5021/3/1). Copies of the bills from the workmen for the building of the Meeting House also form part of this collection (see 5021/3/3/). They include a bill from Edward Upton, bricklayer 'to pull down Meeting House' in March 1805 and recording the building of the new House in 1806.In May 1827 an additional plot of town waste land was acquired on the North Town Ditch leading to the Meeting House (see 5021/2/8). The frontage on Ward Street was purchased in April 1875 to provide access to the Street (See 5021/1/2). A plan of the Meeting House site in 1875 by the architect Henry Peak highlights the new site (See 5021/3/4).Related recordsSee also G124, G134, 1623.
      Bibliography:
      Many of the documents in 5021/ are reproduced in Early Quakerism in Guildford by Herbert Rowntree; Guildford (1952).

      Series ref: 5021/2/DEEDS RELATING TO THE NORTH STREET AND WARD STREET PROPERTY
      Date(s): 1736 - 1883

      Item ref: 5021/2/1-2
      Attested Copy Lease and Release
      1) Charles Child now or late of Guildford, esq, devisee named in last Will and Testament of Leonard Child of Guildford, gent, his late uncle, of premises mentioned, and his brother Leonard Child of London, esq, nephew and heir-at-law of Leonard Child, deceased
      2) John MARTYR of Guildford, gent Messuage in Holy Trinity, Guildford, The Crown - West, messuage bearing the sign of The Castle, East High Street - South, North Town Ditch North, purchased by John Child, gent, grandfather of the two Child parties hereto, from John and Thomas Gardiner, and by him rebuilt, and also back bricked building standing across part and parcel of yard or gateroom of The Castle, now used for Wash House and Brew House with rooms above and also stable and loft above in Holy Trinity adjoining stable and yard of Child House on South West, Barn of Mrs Maybank on East and North Town Ditch on North.Formerly purchased by Leonard Child, deceased, of Edmund Munday, and also ground with barn built by John Child the grandfather, ground being granted to him out of the waste by the Corporation, and is on South of the garden wall and garden of Charles Child in Stoke next Guildford and on North of backyard of Charles Child and the highway there, and also garden with Banquetting or Summer house walled round. South-North, Town Ditch and barn just mentioned. East, garden and buildings of Mr Gilham. North, garden occupied by Richard Kensett belonging to Baptists. West, barn and yard of Mr Shudall and Frog Lane which was purchased by said John Child of Richard Young and walled round. 2 itemsConsideration: £7000
      Date(s): 20-21 Oct 1736. [Starts: 17361020][Ends: 17361021]

      Item ref: 5021/2/3
      Copy of grant of right of Charles Child of Farnham, esq, sole executor of Leonard Child his uncle, deceased, heir-at-law of his brother Leonard Child, deceased, who was himself heir-at-law of Leonard Child his uncle, who was sole executor of John Child his father, who left £100 of which the interest was for the poor of Holy Trinity parish. Leonard Child made the interest (£5) chargeable on his dwelling house and garden which has now been sold to John MARTYR, who is now given authority to distribute the said £5.
      Date(s): 8 Nov 1751 [Starts: 17511108][Ends: 17511108]



      Access to Archives: Derbyshire Record Office:
      FitzHerbert of Tissington:
      Catalogue Ref. D239 - Title Deeds:
      Surrey Estates, Tanhurst (Wotton).

      File ref D239 M/T 965-967
      Date 1740.
      From Scope and Content:
      Lease and release (with counterpart) to bar entails by Francis CHARMAN of Guildford, Yeoman, and Mary his wife, (daughter of Henry SPOONER, deceased) to John MARTYR of Guildford, gent. of two messuages and lands called Tanhurst and Leithers, and a messuage and closes called Winterfields upon trust to levy a fine on premises, and to suffer a recovery by Henry BURDOX of Clements Inn gent. to use of such person as Francis and Mary shall direct.
      Dated 30/31 May 1740.


      File ref D239 M/T 968
      Date 1740.
      From Scope and Content:
      Final concord between John MARTYR plaintiff and Francis CHAPMAN and Mary his wife deforciants of three messuages, three barns, three stables, two gardens, five orchards, 90 acres of land, 10 acres of meadow, 40 ares of pasture, 50 acres of wood, and an acre of water in Wooton. Consideration £100.
      Dated 2 June 1740.

      Access to Archives:
      West Sussex Record Office:
      Additional manuscripts, catalogue 26
      Catalogue Ref. Add MSS 20,001 - 21,100
      West Sussex Record Office

      Miscellaneous deeds, 1329-1850, and pedigrees of the Bowyer, Buckton, Denton, Merrick and Peachey families

      HARDHAM
      FILE - Receipted bill for £11 13s. 7d. from John Martyr to Mr. Merrick and his wife, and Susannah and Penelope Woodyer, for a Common Recovery - ref. Add Mss 20,489 - date: 23 December 1754



      Acess to Archives: Godalming Museum:
      WOODS Collection
      Catalogue reference PW.
      Creator - WOODS, Percy, 1842-1922, local historian of Godalming, Surrey.
      Deeds relating to lands of the CHALCROFT family in Chiddingfold, Surrey ref. - PWD/6.
      File Deeds relating to Thomas PENFOLD's part of Cherfold - ref - PWD/6/3 dated 1628-1727.
      Item: Memorandum from John FLUTTER - ref. - PWD/6/3/15 dated 27th July 1751.
      Item: Assignment of the mortgage on Cherfold and Hallands Moor to Bennett WARNER in trust by the executors of John FLUTTER's will ref. - PWD/6/3/19 dated 18th June 1757.

      Reference: PWD/6/3/15.
      Memorandum from John FLUTTER that he received 7 other deeds along with the mortgage.
      Creation dates: 27 July 1751
      Extent and Form: One slip of paper
      Scope and Content:
      Memorandum from John FLUTTER that he received 7 other 'parchment writings' from Mr MARTYR along with the mortgage [PWD/6/3/12].

      Reference: PWD/6/3/18
      Assignment of the mortgage on Cherfold and Hallands Moor to Bennett WARNER in trust by the executors of John FLUTTER's will
      Creation dates: 18 June 1757
      Extent and Form: One parchment deed
      Scope and Content:
      Assignment of mortgage between
      (1) Henry FLUTTER, John MARTYR and John SHOTTER, all of Guildford, Surrey, gentlemen, executors of the will of John FLUTTER late of Guildford, grocer,
      (2) Richard BARTLETT of Chiddingfold, blacksmith,
      (3) John CHALCROFT of Chiddingfold, gent, and
      (4) Bennett WARNER of Godalming, Surrey, apothecary, on messuage, barn and lands called Cherfold containing about 32 acres, and a piece of ground called Hallands Moor containing about 2 acres, leased in a deed of 10 August 1621 from John EDE of Rovers in Chiddingfold, yeoman, to Abraham BAKER of Catsprye, Chiddingfold, husbandman.


      Access to Archives: West Sussex Record Office:
      The Hurst Manuscripts:
      Catalogue reference. HURST Mss
      Charmans later called Ryder's Farm:

      File: Conveyance by Lease & Release, Thomas RYDE, (son) to John ALDERLY of Clements Inn and John MARTYR of Guildford
      ref: - Hurst Mss/Acc 5121/45
      dated 18th & 19th January 1754.

      File: Recovery, parchment with seal John MARTYR, demandant, and John ADDERLY, tenant:
      ref: - Hurst Mss/Acc 5121/46
      dated 27 Geo 2.


      A2A. Additional Manuscripts, Catalogue 26.
      West Sussex Record Office
      Miscellaneous Deeds, 1329-1850 and Pedigrees of the BOWYER, BUCKTON, DENTON MERRICK and PEACHY Families.

      Parish of HARDHAM
      Scope and Content
      Tenement, garden and 15a. land in Hardham
      Reference: Add Mss 20,489
      Receipted bill for £11 13s. 7d. from John Martyr to Mr. Merrick and his wife, and Susannah and Penelope Woodyer, for a Common Recovery
      Creation dates: 23 December 1754


      A2A: Surrey History Centre.
      The LOSELEY Manuscripts: Record of the MORE and MORE-MOLYNEAUX Family of Loseley Park.
      Catalogue Reference LM.
      Family Settlements and records Relating to Descent of the LOSELEY Estate.
      File: Letters of attorney of Jane MOLYNEAUX to John MARTYR of Guildford, attorney at law, authorizing him to receive her share under her parent's marriage settlement.
      ref. - LM/1127/12 dated 20th April 1768.

      Manorial & Hundreds Records:
      Godalming Hundred and Manor - Appointment of Officers:
      File: - Appointment of John MARTYR as Steward of Godalming Hundred by Sir William MORE MOLYNEAUX.
      ref. - LM/652 dated 29 September 1753.

      Title to the Hundred and Manor of Godalming:
      File: - Schedule of Court Rolls, books and papers relating to the manors of Godalming and Godalming Enton (recorded together) and Catteshall in the hands of John MARTYR of Guildford, Steward.
      ref: - LM/264 dated 19th September 1765.

      Haselmere Manor and Borough:
      Title to the Manor:
      File: - Mr MARTYR's receipt for deeds and papers received from Sir MORE MOLYNEAUX and handed over to Philip Carteret WEBB, relating to John BILLINGHURST of Coldwaltham, Sussex, and to the Manor of Haselmere, 2 copies.
      ref: - LM/1587 dated 1753.

      Papers Relating to the Office of Justice of the Peace:
      General Sessions Business, Including Complaints Against Justicees:
      File: - Appointment by Sir William MORE MOLYNEAUX of John MARTYR as his attorney to vote at the next Quarter Sessions for the removal of John LUFF, constable of Haselmere, and his replacement by Edward UPFOLD; [see LM/1156 & LM/1186, section A].
      ref: - LM/1067/3 dated 1st October 1753.


      Reference Code: 1775
      ROYAL GRAMMAR SCHOOL, GUILDFORD: RECORDS
      Creation dates: 1553-1965
      Royal Grammar School, Guildford, 1552-1965
      Deposited by the Headmaster and the Clerk to the Governors of the school between 1968 and 1976.

      STATUTES AND ORDINANCES, AND PAPERS RELATING TO SCHEMES OF GOVERNMENT

      Reference: 1775/2/2
      Parchment [?fair] copy of the statutes and ordinances concerning the ordering, governing and direction of the schoolmaster, usher and scholars of the free Grammar School of King Edward VI. Signed but not sealed by Thomas Bishop of Winchester. Parchment binding. This copy was used as evidence in a legal dispute between the headmaster, the Revd John Pearsall, and the mayor and approved men of Guildford. The cover, which has been placed upside down and back to front, is endorsed: '...At the execution of a Commission for Examination of witnesses in this cause on the 25th
      day of Aug 1766 this book marked with the letter A was exhibited by as [sic] and shown to Mr John MARTYR and by him was deposed at the time of his Examination. Signed Josiah Brown, Sam. Park, James Shrubb, John Chandler'. Enclosure: note on document by Mr DM Sturley, 30 Nov 1969.
      Creation dates: 16 Sep 1656


      Access to Archives:
      Surrey History Centre: BRAY Family of Shere: Manorial and Estate Records and Family Papers, including of William BRAY (1736-18320, Antiquarian.
      Catalogue Reference: G85.
      Title Deeds, BRAY Estate and Collected Deeds.
      BRAY Family Settlements and probate, including the manors of Shere Vachery and Cranleigh, Gomshall Netley and Gomshall Towerhill.

      File: Lease and release to make a tenant in the precipe, and deed to lead the uses of recovery;
      (1) The Rev George BRAY of Puttenham, clerk, and Ann BRAY of Shere, his mother, widow of Edward BRAY;
      (2) John ADDERLEY of Clements Inn, Middlesex, gent;
      (3) John MARTYR of Guildford, gent; Manors of Shere Vachery and Cranleigh, Gomshall Towerhill and Gomshall Netley.
      Ref: - G85/13/491-2 dated 19th January 1754.

      File: Exemplification of a recovery; John MARTYR, demandant; John ADDERLEY, tenant; Rev George BRAY, vouchee; Manors of Shere Vachery and Cranleigh, Gomshall Netley and Gomshall Towerhill.
      ref: - G85/13/492 dated 10th February 1754.


      Surrey History Centre, Woking
      Collection ref: 5079
      MANOR OF SMITHBROOKE, DUNSFOLD: PAPERS, 1657-1789
      Provenance Purchased by Guildford Muniment Room from D P White of Rusper in March 1992. IntroductionThe manor of Smithbrooke, Dunsfold, was originally in the possession of the Knights of St John, and was an appurtenance of their preceptory of Poling, Sussex. Elizabeth I granted the manor to Edward Wymarke who appears to have sold it to George Austen of Shalford, who died seised of it in 1621. From that time it descended with the rectory of Shalford.Gover's The Place Names of Surrey, has the manor of Smithbrooke in the parish of Bramley.

      Item ref: 5079/11Notice from John MARTYR, steward, of court baron on 22 September to be held at the house of Edmund Field Date(s): 1 Sep 1760
      [Starts: 17600901][Ends: 17600901]

      Item ref: 5079/13 Minutes of the first court baron of Joane Austen by John MARTYR, steward Date(s): 22 Sep 1760 [Starts: 17600922][Ends: 17600922]


      Access to Archives:
      West Sussex Record Office:
      Additional Manuscripts, catalogue 14
      Catalogue Ref. Add Mss 10,294-11,300
      Deeds 1559/60 - 1926, of property mainly in Kirdford and Wisborough Green

      Reference: Add Mss 10,457
      Deed to lead the uses of a fine
      Creation dates: 17 December 1765

      Scope and Content
      John Laker, of Wisborough Green, gent. and Mary, his wife (sister of John Pay, of Kirdford, esq., dec'd. and his co-heir with John Seward, eldest son of John Seward, dec'd., who was eldest son of Ann, other sister of John Pay) to George Barrett, of Wintershall in Bramley in Shalford, co. Surrey, gent. and William Budd, of Alton, co. Hants., Surgeon
      I Moiety of property as in Add Mss no. 10,445, and tithes of rectory of Kirdford; messuage, half yard land and closes called Elliotts (30a.); tenement called Maystards alias Smithes (16a.); 2a. close, and 3r. meadow; messuage and farm called Brewhurst (225a.), now in occ. of Hannah Seward; mill and 1a. land called the Mill Garden, also in occ. of Hannah Seward, all in Wisborough Green
      II Messuage and land called Farm House, the Grove (6a.), the Assetts (11a.), the Rundwicks alias Jupps (18a.), and 2a. meadow in Stopham Mead, meadow called Bath Pool Mead (7a.), Hides Coppice (7a.), Clunns alias Gardners (7a.), Great Hunts (20a.), Hides (20a.), Candlerush Brook (3a.), Mardens Mead and Brookland (14a.), messuage and land called Carters alias Holydayes, messuage and lands called Little Hunts, and coppice ground called Combottom (20a.), coppice ground called Harwoods (3a.), coppice ground called Jupps, coppice called the Burchwood (16a.), Holydayes Piece (4a.) in the Burchwood, farm and lands called Penns alias Braziers and Nicholls (55a.), and 20a. common, 2a. meadow in Stopham Mead, Emseys (4a.), 2a. 3r. land in Hapsey Mead, 1r. land in Stopham Mead, all in Stopham
      III Messuage and land called Magotts (½a.) in Loxwood in Wisborough Green
      IV Messuage and lands called Ivold alias Ifold and Swearfield (272a.) in Dursfold, co. Surrey and Kirdford
      V Land at Buriton and Weston, in Buriton, co. Hants. called Burrough Mead (6a.) and 2a. meadow
      VI Cricket Field (4a.) in Petersfield, co. Hants
      To George Barrett and William Budd in trust for the sole use of Mary, wife of the said John Laker, and after her decease to pay to the said John Laker, if still alive, £1,000, and to the uses of the said Mary Laker's will
      Witnesses: Thomas Steer, John MARTYR and Henry Comber


      Reference: Add Mss 10,459
      Assignment. Consideration £750
      Creation dates: 30 June 1770

      Scope and Content
      (a) Mary Laker, of Loxwood in Wisborough Green, widow, (relict and sole ex'trix. of John Laker, late of Loxwood, esq., dec'd.); (b) Anne Balchin, of Arlington, co. Surrey, widow; (c) Elizabeth Penfold, of Loxwood, widow (relict of Thomas Penfold, late of Loxwood, yeoman, dec'd., née Stempe); (d) John King, of Grant House, in Loxwood, gent
      Recites Add Mss no. 10,453
      Property as in Add Mss no. 10,395
      In consideration of £300 paid by (d) at the request and by the direction and appointment of (c) to (b), and of £450 paid by (d) to (c), from (c) and (b) at the request and by the direction and appointment of (c) to (d)
      Witnesses: Richard Billingshurst, John MARTYR, William Hard, John Butcher, H. Challen, Thomas Steer and Reeve Ballard


      Reference: Add Mss 10,460, 10,461
      Mortgage; with bond. Consideration £350
      Creation dates: 1 July 1770

      Scope and Content
      (a) John King, of Great House, Loxwood in Wisborough Green, gent
      (b) Ann Balchin, of Arlington, co. Surrey, widow (sole ex'trix. of Thomas Galler, late of Tillington, yeoman, dec'd.); (c) John Sparkes, of Bramley, in Shalford, co. Surrey, yeoman, and William Shaw, of Guildford, co. Surrey, apothecary (trustees named in the will of the said Thomas Galler)
      Property as in Add Mss no. 10,395
      Witnesses: Richard Billinghurst and John MARTYR


      Access to Archives:
      West Sussex Record Office:
      Deeds of property in Wisborough Green and Kirdford, 1628/9 - 1797, Abinger, co. Surrey, 1725, and of the manor of Slindon, 1864
      Reference: Add Mss 8653-8655

      Marriage settlement; with two counterparts
      Creation dates: 19 January 1773
      Scope and Content
      (a) George Barrett, sen. of Wintershall in Bramley in Shalford, co. Surrey, gent., and Ann his dau.; (b) John Napper of Malhams in Wisborough Green, gent.; (c) George Barrett, jun. (son of George Barrett, sen.), and John Napper, jun., of Howick in Rudgwick, yeoman. Recites lease for 10,000 years, 18 March 1563/4, by Henry, Earl of Arundel, John, Lord Lumley and Lady Jane his wife, for £53 to Harry Champyon of Wisborough Green, yeoman, of -
      I. Tenement, etc. called Whites in Wisborough Green, parcel of the manor of South Stoke; lands, tenements, etc. called Baggs in Wisborough Green, parcel of the same manor. In all 54a
      Recites that Francis Champyon, son and exor. of Walter Champyon, who was son and exor. of Harry Champyon, assigned the premises, 25 March 1630, to John Francis of Wisborough Green, yeoman, who assigned, 20 Sept. 1649, to John Mills of Brewhurst in Wisborough Green -
      II. Godhurst Field, Coppice Field, Croft Close, Hill Field and Bridge Field (in all 20a.) being parcel of Whytes in Wisborough Green -
      Subject to the payment of £100
      Recites that Whites and Baggs became vested in John Francis who assigned them, 24 June 1657, for £500 to Dorothy Barrett of Witley, co. Surrey, and that Alice Francis, widow and admin'trix of the said John released them to her by deed poll dated 3 Oct. 1661
      Recites that Property II came to be vested in John Quennell of Loxwood in Wisborough Green, butcher, and Mary his wife, who assigned it, 9 Oct. 1661, for £102. 10s. 0d. to the said Dorothy Barrett
      Recites that all the property became vested in George Barrett of Witley, yeoman, who by will, 13 March 1720, devised it to his son and exor., John Barrett
      Recites death of John Barrett, intestate, and that his brother George Barrett, party to this deed, took out Letters of Administration
      Recites intended marriage between (b) and Ann Barrett who is entitled to a legacy of £500 under the will of her great aunt, Mary Laker (see Add Mss 8652) not yet paid and it is agreed to be assigned by her, the legatee, to (c) in trust
      John Napper, father of (b) having settled certain freeholds lands in Wisborough Green on his son (c), George Barrett (father of Ann) agrees to augment his daughter's fortune by paying to (c) £400 on the solemnization of the marriage and covenants with (c) that within one month of his death a further £500 shall be paid and that the leasehold properties shall be assigned to them in trust. George Barrett, sen. now assigns Properties I and II to (c) in trust for (b) and Ann Barrett and their children. The £900 is to be invested and held on trust to the same uses.
      Witnesses: William White, John MARTYR and John Smither


      Reference: Add Mss 8656
      Bond in £800
      Creation dates: 9 July 1774

      Scope and Content
      John Napper, as (b) in Add Mss 8653, to (c) as in Add Mss 8653
      To pay £400 borrowed under an agreement expressed in Add Mss 8653
      Witnesses: John MARTYR and Joseph Pickstone.


      Access to Archives:
      East Sussex Record Office:
      Archive of the HOPER family of London, Steyning, Lewes, East Grinstead and Portslade, and the Constable family of Cowfold and Ringmer

      ARCHIVE OF THE HOPER FAMILY OF LONDON, STEYNING, LEWES, EAST GRINSTEAD AND PORTSLADE, AND THE CONSTABLE FAMILY OF COWFOLD AND RINGMER

      Catalogue Ref. HOP
      HOPER family of London, West Sussex and East Sussex
      Constable family of West Sussex and East Sussex

      JOHN HOPER OF LEWES
      Cossum Family - ref. HOP/43
      Reference: HOP/43/5
      Assignment of mortgages and bonds
      Creation dates: 24 June 1780

      Scope and Content
      a) Richard Cossum of Hastings, shopkeeper, administrator of Ann Colgate of Tonbridge, co. Kent, deceased, and of John Colgate of Tonbridge, co. Kent, deceased, (b) Winifred Cossum of Hastings, spinster
      Mortgage of 1757 by Thomas Fry of Speldhurst, co. Kent to John Colgate of "Mitchells" in Speldhurst and other lands there, for £468, and additional mortgage of 1770 for £100
      Loan on security dated 1764, of £800 by John Colgate to Francis Austen
      Bond of £120 dated 1770 of Nicholas Corke of Tonbridge, yeoman, and John Corke of Hadlow, yeoman, to John Colgate
      Bond of £200, dated 1774 of Richard Bellingham of Tonbridge to Ann Colgate
      Bond of £62 dated 1776 of William Willard and John MARTYR to Richard Cossum.


      A2A: Surrey History Centre: Surrey Quarter Sessions: Records
      Catalogue Reference: QS
      Sessions Bundles ref: - QS2/6/
      File Epiphany Sessions 1780 - ref. QS2/6/1780/Eph/ dated 1780.
      Item: Letter from John MARTYR who has been ordered to write about the state of Cobham Bridge by the Speaker who found it in a bad state of repair when he last came into the county.
      ref: - QS2/6/1780/Eph/60 dated 1780.



      The National Burial Index for England & Wales, Second Edition, Disc Ser No 2, Burials 1761-1825, reads:
      "On the 10th May 1781, John MARTYR, at Holy Trinity Church, Guildford, Surrey, England".